Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Planning Commissioner Speaks Up for Chesapeake Hens

A supporter of 4 Chesapeake Hens, Tom Powell, had written a letter regarding the treatment our group received at the Planning Commission's public hearing on October 10. We published Tom's letter in an earlier post.

Commissioner Adam Perry, one of three who had voted in favor of hens, emailed Tom this well-worded reply on October 15:

Hello Mr. Powell,

I appreciate your thorough and thoughtful e-mail.  You have made some very good points and put our actions into perspective.

I voted for TA-Z12-07, and amended the proposal to allow for up to six chickens and to remove the burdensome 6 ft. fencing requirement.  I voted this way and proposed the amendments because during my thorough investigation into the issue, including backyard site visits, interviews and research, I found that other than psychological anguish due to unfounded stereotypes (not facts),  I could not find any substantive reasons that hens would actually bother anyone.

I can’t speak for other Commissioners.  I do not know why they chose not to ask questions or explain themselves, particularly since there was no opposition at the meeting.

Personally, my questions were answered.  I agree that you should have the right to have chickens on your property so long as they are properly cared for and do not interfere with your neighbor’s right to pursue their own lives.

I try very hard to be consistent with my votes.  Personal freedom and property rights are very important to me.

 Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Adam Perry
Chesapeake Planning Commission

Update: On November 20, Chesapeake City Council voted 6-3 to allow hens with certain restriction in residential areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment