Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Robert Ike, City Council Member of the Week

I attended tonight's Chesapeake City Council meeting and got to meet Robert Ike, Jr. He had some positive words to say about our efforts to amend the zoning laws to allow micro-flocks of backyard laying hens. Here is what I emailed him in response:

Dear Robert Ike,

Thank you for your words of support for our group's goal to change the zoning laws in Chesapeake to allow more residents to have 2-6 laying hens. Please feel free to contact me as a resource on this issue. Our Facebook fan page is https://www.facebook.com/4ChesapeakeHens. We have an online petition at http://www.change.org/petitions/4chesapeakehens with 478 signatures, and we are collecting more signatures in the community. We would be pleased to work with you or any other City Council members who are willing to effect change. We appreciate any efforts you make on our behalf.
We are making him our "City Council Member of the Week" on our Facebook fan page to thank him for his words of support. His contact information is at http://www.cityofchesapeake.net/Government/council/intro/ike.htm.

**Update 7/18/12 We have received our first response from a member of City Council, and such a supportive one it is.  Here is Robert Ike's email:

Mary Lou,

As I told you in chambers, I had a hen house in the yard behind me for over 3 years.  I only discovered it when I replaced my back fence.  They were quiet, odorless and I'm sure provided the owners with nutritious fresh eggs.

In this economy many people are reducing their grocery bill with home gardens and laying hens. We need to allow our residents the option.  I'm sure it is a great thing for children to experience as well!

Best of luck with your project, please let me know if I may be of service.

Councilman Robert C. Ike, Jr.


Update: Robert Ike introduced an ordinance to legalize up to six hens in a pen in residential backyards on November 20, 2012. The ordinance passed, 6-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment