- 1 tablespoon sunflower, safflower, or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, and rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 2 small turnip roots, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth plus 2 cups water
- 2 cups dried yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh minced cilantro
- 1 cup fresh watercress leaves
Lock the lid in place, bring to pressure, reduce the heat just enough to maintain high pressure, and cook for 10-11 minutes. Remove from heat and allow pressure to come down naturally. Remove bay leaf, stir in the cilantro and watercress, and serve.
Update: I made a variation of this that skips the sweet potatoes and other spices (except the bay leaves) and uses turnip greens, fresh mint, and fresh oregano instead of the cilantro and watercress. I put the mint and oregano in a bouquet garni, which I removed before serving. Delicious!