Saturday, December 31, 2011

Don's Low-Sodium Pancake Mix

Don has adapted this recipe from the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook. He has made it more heart-healthy by increasing the amount of whole wheat flour and reducing the sodium and cholesterol. He has made it fit better into busy lifestyles by making the portions very easy to measure. We keep this mix in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Be sure to keep it refrigerated. One time I accidentally put it in the flour cupboard, and it went rancid quickly. Here is the recipe in Don's words:

  • 6 cups King Arthur Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour
  • 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-purpose Flour
  • 1.5 cups non-fat dry milk
  • .75 cup featherweight baking powder (Hains makes this)
  • 1 cup vegetable shortening (I use the Crisco bricks that come in a three pack)
I use a one cup measure and a one quarter cup measure for all of the dry ingredients.  The shortening comes in a one cup brick, so there is no measuring needed.
In any case, combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
Cut in the shortening.  I use two table knives.
To use the mix, my method is to use:
  • 6 measures of the mix
  • 1 measure of egg substitute
  • 4 measures water
If I measure them in that order, I only get one measure dirty
For two people I use a 1/3 cup measure.  If it is just me, I use a 1/4 cup measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment